Friday, December 14, 2007

Breakfast at the Mercado




On Sunday, our friend Oscar invited us to visit the market where he buys produce for his cafe. When I picture a produce market, I see just that: produce. And while there were fruit and vegetable stands as far as the eye could see, there were also little mini-restaurants throughout the mercado. We have gotten very brave about eating at random places here in GDL, so we ate breakfast here, and it was fantastic. I realize that people hear about the food and water not being safe here in Mexico, but everyone uses purified water (the Mexicans don't drink tap water, either), and we haven't had any problems with the food. I think about how much great food we would have missed out on during our time here if we had allowed ourselves to be afraid of eating at all the little taco stands and such. My advice to anyone traveling in Mexico is to throw caution to the wind and enjoy it in its entirety -- within reason of course: if the mere sight of a place grosses you out, then don't eat there, but we haven't had that experience anywhere. My favorite thing that morning had to be the juice stand, where you could order any kind of fresh-squeezed juice you can imagine. They squeezed the juice right there in front of you: it was so fresh it wasn't even cold! And the price couldn't be beat -- a huge cup for 10 pesos (about $1).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon every day.
It will always be interesting to read content from other writers
and practice a little something from their sites.

Also visit my web-site; Ricky Salvador